Sunday, September 11, 2011

Travertines and Ancient Baths in Pamukkale

From Selcuk, I took a tour to a very cool spot: the snow white travertines of Pamukkale (means "cotton castle") and nearby ruins of Heiropolis. These white terraces are formed by calcium carbonite residue from the mineral springs. After three hours on the bus, it was fantastic to catch a glimpse of the white travertines on the hillside, like a ski slope!I walked around the travertines and the reflected light was blinding. This is definitely the coolest natural feature I've seen in Turkey so far.
There is a spot where you can dip your toes in the mineral water on the terraces, but I preferred to opt for the whole shebang, the Antique Pool, where, for an additional 25 Turkish Lira, you can swim among submerged pillars and bits of marble. If you're careless, like me, you can scrape your shins and stub your toes on the cunningly concealed ancient pieces. I spent an hour in this warm mineral bath, which was, I noticed, very popular with Russian tourists. For some reason, some of the young Russian women wore thick pancake makeup, and mascara applied with a trowel, as well as flowers in their hair. Perhaps they were dolled up for an impromptu photo shoot in the Antique Pool?
The ancient city of Heiropolis also boasts a theater, and you know how I love theaters, even ones which require steep climbs up hot hills, which actually, come to think of it, they all do!

2 comments:

  1. this place looks very cool. i would've loved it, guess i'll have to go back to Turkey soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria!!! This trip looks/sounds amazing! Keep enjoying yourself and updating us, Mark Twain! Stay safe bb!

    PS I would have been that dude's third wife.

    ReplyDelete